Saturday, June 18, 2011

Red Velvet Brownie Sundae at Bar Americain



I read a lot of menus in my spare time.  I know, it's not particularly exciting.  I read real literature too, I promise.  But every once in a while I read something on a menu and the description is so good that it pops into my head later...except that I can't remember which menu it was on.  And then I have to go rooting through my online history, or retracing my steps throughout the city, to see where it was.  This was the case with this "Red Velvet Brownie Sundae."  Somehow it got into my head, and I had to retrace my steps to figure out where I'd seen it... 

This particular sundae lives at Bar Americain, one of Bobby Flay's restaurants in New York, which I am fortunate enough to work right next to.  Today, when it decided to pour down rain around the time I was planning to leave the office, I decided to take refuge at the bar and get a little cozy with the dessert I had been eyeing.

It's description is pretty spectacular:   "Red Velvet Brownie Sundae with Cream Cheese Soft Serve Ice Cream."  I wasn't sure how all the components would come together (red velvet + brownie = ?) but I was confident they would.

It certainly looked red-velvety.  But when I tried the red velvet brownie, do you know what I tasted?  A blondie.  That's right, a plain tasting bar cake with nuts and chocolate chips.  The chips were solid (so it wasn't warm).  In fact, it was a little hard, maybe even stale.  The soft serve was nice but didn't really taste like cream cheese.  Of course, as with all sundaes, it's hard to say no to something brownie-like with ice cream, chocolate sauce, and nuts.  But honestly, when the chocolate sauce ran out, so did the fun.

What's the deal Bobby?  I've had your Bourbon Praline Profiteroles before and those are great.  I've had your smoked salmon sweet potato hash and your french onion soup and they are delicious.  I have seen you take on some of the best chefs in America week after week and WIN.

Step it up, man.

Bar Americain
152 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019-6004
(212) 265-9700

No comments:

Post a Comment